This Valentine’s Day I am imploring Canadian’s across the country to have a heart… shaped cookie!
We all know that Valentine’s Day is the most romantic day of the year, and the one day where matters of the heart come above all else.
So, doesn’t it make sense then, to take care of the hearts of your loved ones on this special day?
I think it does! Cardiovascular health is a massive public health concern in this country and I decided that I would do my part by coming up with a delicious heart shaped and heart healthy cookie recipe.
You have probably all seen a heart shaped cookie before. There are tons of recipes for them online and in stores, but I am confident you haven’t seen one quite like this.
I specially formulated these heart shaped gems to not only look and taste great ( or at least okay, haha!), but to be prepared with exceptionally heart healthy ingredients ( aside from the sugar, sorry!).
This recipe contains heart healthy ingredients that , when consumed regularly, can:
- Help lower your “bad” or LDL cholesterol levels
- Help Increase your “good” or HDL cholesterol levels
- Help regulate your blood pressure
- Help lower your unhealthy blood fats also known as triglycerides
Andy’s Heart Shaped, Heart Healthy Valentine’s Day Cookies
What You Need:
1 cup oat flour + ¼ cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3-4 small avocados
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 flax egg* or 1 omega-3 egg
¾ cup of granulated sugar
½ cup chopped almonds
red or pink food dye
*Flax eggs are a vegan alternative and can be made by combining 1 tbsp of ground flax seed with 3 tbsp of water. Stir and let sit in fridge for 15 minutes before use.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with foil; lightly grease with olive oil.
- Combine dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Mash avocados and mix in vanilla extract in separate bowl.
- Add egg and sugar and beat.
- Add dry flour mixture into wet ingredients.
- Mix in nuts.
- Add in red or pink food dye until it reaches desired color.
- Spread dough onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Cut out hearts with knife or cookie cutter.
Serve with a glass of soy milk for the ultimate heart healthy treat.
What are you waiting for? Give my heart healthy cookies a try this Valentine’s Day and win the heart of your loved ones in more ways than one.
Special thanks also to HealthByEmily who, in absence of a cookie cutter, shaped this pretty darn well with her hands.
Andy De Santis RD MPH