I am writing today’s article for two reasons:
1. It seems like more and more people are into running
2. Many people who run want to know what to eat after they run
I am going to keep it very simple today and operate under the assumption that you want a snack that is healthy, conducive to good recovery and also able to be prepared in no more than a minute or two.
My Top 5 Post-Run Snacks
Amounts will vary based on the individual and other contextual factors
1. Chocolate Milk + Banana: Protein, carbohydrates, electrolytes and a ton of vitamins/minerals with absolutely no preparation time. What else could you ask for post-run?
2. Milk + Cereal or Oatmeal or Granola Bar: Your favourite cereal , granola bar or a bowl of oatmeal prepared with milk ( or soy milk) is an ideal post workout snack.
3. Greek Yogurt with Berries: Greek yogurt with berries ( or any type of fruit) is a quick , easy and balanced snack. You could also just have a sweetened variety of Greek yogurt instead, but fruit is preferably.
4. Whole Grain Toast with eggs OR tuna OR hummus OR peanut butter: The options are limitless and provide everything you need for post-run recovery.
5. Fruit and Nuts/Seeds: For me, this is the ultimate healthy snack but may lack a bit in the protein department. Choose this one if you know you will be having a protein rich meal shortly after.
There you have it folks, nothing earth shattering but each of these five snacks will do the trick for you post-run.
Andy De Santis RD MPH