Let’s all give a warm welcome to Mandy, one of my student guest blogging vets. Today she is bringing a pretty epic taco recipe to the table today.
If you aren’t sold on tofu just yet, check out my latest YouTube video to learn how and why I started eating tofu ( after initially thinking it was gross) and then proceed to checking Mandy’s awesome recipe out!
Tofu Tacos because Every Day is Taco Day
Still not sold on the tofu craze?! Ever try to marinade and bake the tofu prior to combining it in a meal? This recipe brings top notch flavors to the table, along with a crispy tasty twist on this plant based protein that is sure to change your mind.
Tofu is known as a meat substitution and often described as “sponge-like.” It is time to turn this description into something more appealing to those taste buds once and for all. Tofu is an excellent source of daily protein along with potassium, iron and calcium. This plant based protein source takes on whatever flavor you choose to accompany it with, so get creative!
Next taco time that rolls around, do not even hesitate to grab that tofu package and get cooking! The opportunities, flavors and combinations are endless…”everybody was tofu fighting.”
Yield: approximately 4 tacos
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu
- 1 package of tortilla shells [your choice of size and flavor]
- 2 bulk carrots, sliced in half
- 5 fresh Brussel sprouts
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- Marinade: [your choice] this recipe went with Gyoza dipping sauce
- Optional: guacamole, salsa, hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, chop and slice the vegetables [carrots and Brussel sprouts] and slice the tofu for roasting preparation.
- Once the tofu is in slices place on greased baking sheet, rub the gyoza dipping sauce over the top of each one then tap cumin on each [approx. ½ tsp].
- Place sliced carrots and Brussel sprouts on baking sheet also and season with black pepper and cumin. Place in oven for approximately 8 minutes.
- While tofu and vegetables are roasting, place 1 TBS olive oil in sauté pan along with garlic and chopped red onion.
- Sauté red onion until it is translucent, then add the sliced red pepper and chopped broccoli. Cook for approximately 6-8 minutes over medium heat.
- Take baking sheet out of oven and flip the tofu slices over and rub the marinade the other sides the same way as before. Also, flip the carrot slices and Brussel sprouts to avoid charring only on one side. Place back in over for another 8 minutes.
- Get spinach tortilla out and lay down a small handful of spinach leaves in the middle of the tortilla.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and check on the tofu slices and vegetables, flip if necessary and place back in oven for another 5 minutes or until everything looks roasted.
- Once roasting is complete, remove baking sheet from the oven, shred the Brussel sprouts and cut the tofu in smaller slices.
- Place the sliced tofu, carrot, sautéed vegetables and shredded Brussel sprouts on top of the bed of spinach leaves on the tortilla.
- Top with your choice of toppings, pictured is guacamole. Roll it up and enjoy!
Darn this looks good… Thanks for another awesome recipe Mandy!!!
Andy De Santis RD MPH