If you read my press release, you will know that I adopted four primary heart health principles in the development of my new 5-Ingredient Heart Healthy Cookbook.
Each of these principles not only drove the content development of the book but, as you’d expect, the vast majority of the heart healthy recipes included within.
As a reminder, the pillars are:
1) Blood Pressure Management – Sodium Vs Potassium content ( magnesium + calcium also help!)
2) Blood Sugar Management – Glycemic Index considerations
3) Blood Cholesterol Management – Plant Vs Animal protein, healthy fats/fibre content
4) Unique Nutrient Load – Antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids and other unique anti-inflammatory compounds
In today’s feature recipe, I will break down the key ingredients and briefly explain the components of each that allow me to comfortably classify them as heart healthy.
The ingredients for my Breakfast Bowl include:
1) Quinoa – In addition to being a low glycemic index starch, quinoa is high in soluble fibre which has exceptional cholesterol lowering properties. It’s also a good source of blood pressure lowering magnesium + potassium.
2) Pistachios – Owing to their high monounsaturated fat content, tree nuts like pistachios are considered a staple of the famous cholesterol lowering Portfolio Diet. They are also exceptionally useful for blood sugar control and notable for blood pressure management owing to their magnesium and potassium content.
3) Blueberries – Blueberries share the characteristics of both foods above, but are uniquely high in a wide array of protective antioxidant compounds making them an indispensable powerhouse in this dish.
4) Almond Milk (Soy): While my book does indeed call for almond milk, a perfectly suitable selection, I will also extend a reminder that soy milk contains unique cholesterol lowering compounds and additional protein – making it a perfect substitute in this recipe.
With the unsolicited science out of the way, you are now implored to enjoy the recipe preview below to the fullest extent.
If you like what you see, and my heart health philosophy, placing your order for my book (which has plenty more of all of the above!) is the next logical step.
Thanks in advance,
Andy De Santis RD MPH